When it comes to fish most people are skeptical about making it at home, but it’s really simple. I don’t need to provide you with a recipe because it really is that easy. Usually, we have about a 4 oz serving of fish at a time, unless the 6 oz salmon fillets are on sale at the market. Fish doesn’t require much seasoning and is usually best when it’s simple. Here’s what I do for a salmon fillet:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Season with pepper (or any other salt free seasoning)
3. Place 1 tsp of olive oil spread across two fillets
4. Pour the juice of half a lemon evenly over both fillets
5. Place the salmon in a oven safe pan, skin side down and cover with foil.
6. Cook for 15 mins or until cooked through. It doesn’t take long with fish.
In the picture, the same was seared off in an iron grill pan and place in the oven. What can I say? I’m a little fancy. But that’s it! We usually pair it with wild rice or quinoa and a veggie medley…and that’s dinner. While the fish is in the oven, you can steam some veggies and make the rice.
Fish is an important part of a healthy diet. Willie prefers salmon which is loaded with healthy Omega 3 fatty acids, just like most fish. Fish with the highest omega 3’s include: salmon, mackerel, trout, and herring. Consumption of these fishes should be enjoyed in moderation. I prefer a white fish such as tilapia or cod which contain smaller amounts of the omega 3’s so you can have these more often.
Find out more health benefits of eating fish! Happy eating and don’t be afraid to cook your own fish at home!