I’ve been sick but I’m trying to get on the mend quicker so I can run my second marathon in 6 days on Saturday. I’ve been overloading on vitamin C and medicating up. The Gusher will be my first TEXAS marathon and I’m glad to say it will be run in my hometown! Things are looking better but on Monday I decided to make some veggie soup.
Here’s what you need for the soup:
1 package of frozen chopped spinach
1/2 white onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
1 cup white mushrooms, chopped
2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
1 8 oz can garbanzo beans aka chickpeas
5 oz whole wheat pasta noodles of your liking
1 tbsp oregano
1-2 tbsp Sriracha (I like mine spicy)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 bay leaf (you’ll remove it at the end)
This is how you do it:
1. In a soup pot, spray the bottom of the pot and add the onion, bell peppers and celery. Sautee until the onions become translucent.
2. Add the spices and bayleaf, chicken broth, chickpeas and frozen spinach. Wait for the spinach to cook down and bring to a boil.
3. As it boils, add the pasta and continue to boil until pasta is al dente!
4. Add the frozen peas and carrots and reduce heat! It doesn’t take long for these things to heat through.
5. Remove the bayleaf and serve in a bowl!
It’s been unseasonably cold in our part lately so having soup hit the spot. Plus, it was really the only thing I really wanted this week. Maybe because it was easy and warm! Willie didn’t mind the no meat thing either. He just fixed a sandwich on the side and was happy. Let me know if you try to the soup and how it turns out for you.
What do you like to eat when you’re feeling under the weather?