I’ve been trying to come up with great veggie side dishes because that’s mostly what I eat. People seemed so focused on the meat main event, but I’m not a huge meat eater. I do prefer my meat on the side because I classify myself as a flexitarian. I would probably not eat meat if I wasn’t so adamant about running but I feel like I need it to keep my body strong and injury free. Anyway, I got an idea for the corn succotash after being on The Rachael Ray Show so I made a couple of modifications. It’s quick and easy and pairs perfectly with any mexican meal…or something whatever your heart desires.
Here’s what you need:
6 ears of corn OR 2 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup red bell pepper
1/2 white onion chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 jalapeño seeded and chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 zucchini diced
1 tsp olive oil
1/8 cup lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the over to 450. If you are using fresh corn, please remove kernels from the cob.
2. Place corn on a lined cookie sheet, add corn to sheet and coat with olive oil and pepper.
3. Place on top rack of over for 15 minutes or until the kernels start to brown. Watch to make sure it doesn’t burn.
4. In a skillet, sauté the onions, bell pepper, jalapeño and zucchini. I use cooking spray for this, nothing fancy. Add salt and pepper at this step also. This is done with onion and zucchini are almost translucent.
5. When corn is done, add the to the mixture in the skillet, add lemon juice and mix.
6. Remove from heat and add the cilantro and tomatoes. Serve warm.
7. Optional: For extra heat add red pepper flake.
Makes 4-6 servings.
What would you pair this side dish with?