I’ve been so busy lately and I will admit I’m tired. It’s already Wednesday and I have to leave again on Friday. All this fall travel might be starting to catch up with, but I don’t regret any moment of it. I’ve taken two days off of running because my hamstring has been a little sore after 20-miler Sunday. I’m hoping that I can get back on it today and see where it goes. I started my taper this week so it’s time to rest up for the big marathon in 16 days!
Eating healthy is always a struggle and it’s a big issue when I travel. Today I just wanted to take the time to talk about some quick and easy ways to eat healthy in life.
1. Stop eating all your meals out. Cook at home. That’s the easiest way to find out what’s in your food because you’re cooking it yourself. If you haven’t read it yet, be sure to read my post about grocery shopping!
2. Keep healthy snacks on hand so when you do start to snack you’re not grabbing chips, crackers and all that other BAD stuff. Keeping a fully stocked fruit bowl, nuts, and other healthy treats out in eye view will help curb the unhealthy snacking. Also, keep healthy snacks in the fridge. We always have hummus, yogurt, string cheese, fruits and cut veggies in the fridge.
3. People’s eating habits are different, but I eat on a schedule or around the same schedule everyday. I have breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and a snack. Wow, that sounds like I’m eating a lot but it works for me.
4. Drink water and tea! The body can’t distinguish between hunger and thirst so sometimes when you think you’re hungry you just might be thirsty. Drinking water and/or tea might help with bad eating habits!
5. Don’t keep junk in the house. Some people hide the chips, cookies, crackers, juice and whatever thing it is you choose to have, but I’m not so sure that would work for me. Different strokes for different folks. I know the one thing that definitely keeps me from eating all that stuff is simply not buying it. That way I’m not tempted to eat it.
6. When you’re on the go, carry your own snacks with you. I always have a cooler with me filled with healthy things just in case I feel the need to eat something. When you’re hungry, you will be tempted to eat anything and everything. This way you can control what’s going in your mouth.
7. Eating on the go does create challenges but my best advice is to eat fresh. Eat places where you can see them prepare your food. We eat at places like Subway, Chipotle, Pita Pit, Freebirds, Jason’s Deli…because a. they have nutritional information that we can LIVE with and b. we can basically watch them prepare our food or gather or own things. Buffets are never a good idea folks because you’re going to want to eat your $$$ worth, it sits there forever, and it’s usually prepared with large amounts of things you don’t want to eat.
These are just a few tips, but I am interested in hearing some of your tips to eating healthy.
What are some of your tips to share to help people eat healthier?